This may be a dreadfully silly post but I'm swamped. I'm right at this moment only a few hours away from a flood of tears due to exhaustion and stress and thought there would be no better place to admit it than this. Honestly I debated if I should post about this for many days now because I fear the bad karma of venting about having too much illustration work (it does sound quite like a terrible complaint, doesn't it?) but have decided that I need to. I've received many emails from illustrators just starting out and it's not fair to them to leave out pieces about the business that can be frustrating and hard (it's just like me to hand out rose coloured glasses).
As a freelancer I always feel like I'm on a roller coaster. One day I'll be chugging along uphill rather slowly, enjoying my climb but wondering if I'll ever get somewhere and then before I know it I'll be speeding along in a loop ready to puke my guts out and crying for the ride to stop.
I am thankful everyday for having work even when I'm ready to cry and I am thankful also because I can see that this push has helped improve my skills and has allowed me to live my dream that much more. Still, when weeks on end my days stretch on through the hours of 8am - 2am (ahem... or later the last couple days) I have these horrid thoughts of giving it all up and becoming a monk.
What I'd LOVE to know is if any of my readers have gone through what I have. Is anyone else out there taking a wee break out of their busy day to read my blog? Have I officially scared off several potential young illustrators? Or did the inevitable happen - someone wants to digitally slap me in the face for complaining about having too much work? Let's hear your comments.
Honesty should always bring good karma. Having too much work can be really draining, especially when it feels endless. I'm a little swamped myself these days and much as the work is wonderful, it's nice to have weekends off, right? I was just about to stop reading blogs and hop back into my own work so this was a welcome read. The good news is, when you do come up for air, you'll be so appreciative of any little break or outing - and then down the road you'll have these great projects completed and published to feel proud of! I hope you take even 10 minutes away from your work now and then to decompress, get a little fresh air and focus on something else.
ReplyDeleteYup. That's the life of a freelancer. Sometimes you have more time for yourself and other aspects of your business, then other times your just too swamped to do anything but illustrate. It can certainly be fatiguing. But, yes, having too much work is perferable to not enough--or none. Hang in there.
ReplyDeleteOh Crystal, I've been there. I went out and bought a super comfy new office chair for the days upon days that I was glued to it. You'll get through this. Here's a digital hug and a hope that your work will be blessed with speed and creativity!
ReplyDeleteSounds like my days. I know how it is so keep your head up and we'll all do ok :-) I haven't posted on my own blog in a while because of crazy schedules but I always have time to take a peek at others, hehehe!
ReplyDeleteFunny how the freelancing life is a roller coaster ride, but most of us who are lucky enough to be on it doesnt want to get off.
I'm in the same boat in there with you, I hope that is some comfort!
I'm just an amateur who is learning illustration...but I have enjoyed reading about your ups and downs.
ReplyDeleteHey Crystal,
ReplyDeleteI nominated you for an award - check my blog for details. Look forward to your next post (as always) :O)
Chrissy
Ditto, here....thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one who can feel this way. Family thinks it's great to "make" your own hours~ nothing fabulous about an all nighter, and the older I get the longer it takes me to recover. But that would be another post I suppose.
ReplyDeleteHang in there!
Yes, I've certainly been there this summer too, just when I thought I had a breather, bam! But yeah, I'm grateful at the same time. Wish it happened more often in the winter though ;)
ReplyDelete