Saturday, January 20, 2007



I have spent the last four years illustrating full time for a local publishing business but have been craving more time to work in my home based studio. I am one week away from cashing in my card to be there, and going part time at our local provincial museum. I am going to approach children's book publishers, local magazines and various other local business's that require personal artwork. Scribbled Business is going to be the journal of progress that my business takes as I make my way from no name corporate artist to crystal driedger, "that illustrator now featured in communication arts", or "that artist who did illustrations in that new book at Chapters".

My goals are to create pieces that I feel comfortable entering into Communication arts and Applied Arts (deadlines are in February and March) and there is a local publisher that is doing handbooks for teenagers and children and I am going to enter there as well (prize 10,000 big ones, enough to get my business good and started full time). I have been painting a mermaid for a good month now and will finish that this February and plan to post it here as well. I am going to create an original mail out sampler that goes to local business's and a great brochure type mail out to go to the big gun publishers.

A little teaser of my work appears on my website splash page at www.crystaldriedger.com and I have included a recent sketch I did while watching some movies on my couch. It is certainly inspired by Maurice sendak as I had received a copy of "where the wild things are" for my birthday in October. I love Maurice's characters hands and scribbled etching type under layer pen work. Do check it out if you've never read this book. It is certainly a classic beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment