Thursday, June 05, 2008

Illustrators Designing a World

The most rewarding clients have full and complete faith in an illustrators abilities, are able to give constructive feedback and provide enough work to give you something resembling a full time employee's paycheck. These come by once in a blue moon. I'm very fortunate to be working with one right now. The project, which is still confidential at this point, is by far the biggest project I've ever worked on and as I have a great deal of creative control I'm elated as well as nervous. The project is currently in early stages: character and culture design (and the style I'm working on is nothing like you've seen me do before).

Designing a culture is a fascinating process. How do the people dress? What do they eat? What is their climate like, why do they wear their hair the way they do? Do they wear jewelry (if so what does it look like, how does it react to light, what is it shaped like?). I'm imagining the excitement I'm feeling is akin to the likes of George Lucas when he started planning out Star Wars. And not to leave you hanging, but the deadline on the project has now been extended to October so I may not be able to show you a single pencil stroke until next year when it's "unveiled"...

4 comments:

  1. that sounds so interesting, Crystal. Congratulations! Nothing beats a great client who has complete faith in you....I always give 110% and more when that happens.

    Can't wait to see it..must be fun right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like so so so so much fun. I'm so happy for you. Good luck! I cannot wait to see the end results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooo, how intriguing, a confidential project!!! Looking forward to see what you do with it, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really exciting, but I'm now looking back at this post from the future ....(pause for sci-fi sound effect), and it's already October so perhaps all will soon be revealed.

    ReplyDelete