Tuesday, August 07, 2007
Life lessons
I wish I had some shots of my latest hand made projects to show off but I've been too busy! With my Educational project getting wrapped up (one more illustration to go), getting cards and bookmarks ready for a wonderful store/greenhouse just outside of Agassiz, British Columbia owned by my Aunt & Uncle (with the lovely name of Limbert Mountain Farm, visit their website here: http://limbertmountainfarm.com/index.html), of course creating handmade items for some upcoming farmers markets/craft shows, trying to get some moments in painting and the craziest lately working as a bartender for one of Albertas largest Country Music Festivals. It was strange throwing myself back into the service industry after being gone from the world for so long (I waitressed back in 2001). I am so unbelieveably happy that my freelance career has been going so well and I have been finding such wonderful work and clients. People in the service industry take so much attitude and odd behavior from others with a smile for the companies and people they work for and at such a fast pace and I am so grateful to them. There are so many people that work for so little and bartending this weekend reminded me of just how small our "art/design world" is. How important it is to always be kind to people, to work hard for what you make and to never forget that each person you see, no matter how fleeting, has a life and a soul that deserves respect and patience. That rule goes for either side of the "counter" you are on. As I came home each night, near 5:00am, covered in spilt beer with the ghosts of loud music still ringing in my ears and my knuckles bruised by the liquor dispensor I could hardly wait to skip downstairs to my basement studio and pick up my quill again (after a long sleep). That's just the thing about freelancing, owning a house and having a wonderful family: you'll do anything to keep the good things in your life. Happiness in your marriage, security in a home and an amazing, life changing job that continues to help me grow in confidence, craft and spirit. I am thankful for what I have seen this weekend and what I have experienced. It has only pushed me to work harder and has given me yet another reason to illustrate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great post and thanks for the reminder.
ReplyDelete=O)
Great post Crystal!
ReplyDeleteThat last part is so true. Keep it going.
-Mike