Wednesday, April 30, 2008

21 Day Creative Challenge: Day 1 STAN


I've decided to join the 21 Day Creative Challenge... started by amazing illustrator Gina Perry. Here was her inspiration:

"During Laurie Halse Anderson's keynote at the 2008 NESCBWI conference last weekend, she gave us a challenge. Think you don't have time? She does. At least 15 minutes. Pick a time of day and mark it in your dayplanner or calender. She mentioned that it takes 21 days to form a new habit. Also, pick a buddy or two to help you stay focused and on track. I challenge all of you who read this to join me."
http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gif

Jannie Ho was how I found out about the challenge: it's her first day too! Check out Gina and Jannie's blogs for more info.

Here's my personal challenge: To create a different character each day (non-human, non-animal). The first creature I'd like the "bloggers" out there to name... Any suggestions?

He's a bit of a nice guy and enjoys peppermint tea and granola with chopped up banana's (cut just so). Each morning he walks to his office and on his way feeds expired meters with spare change from his pocket. One thing he hates is socks, which he avoids at all costs.

10 comments:

  1. He does look like a good guy.. I love the fact that he feeds the meters! To me he looks like a "Stanley" :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alicia beat me to it. I was thinking the exact same name, except just "Stan"!! Too funny!

    Welcome to the group. Look forward to your characters. This is my first visit here. I like what I see so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:13 AM

    Great character - I love his choice of breakfast too! He seems like a Mr. 'something-or-other', maybe since he has that Mr. Rogers vibe. Nice man with a sweater vest. Great challenge idea too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahah, looks like he is STAN! Yeah, I'd like to have breakfast with him sometime.

    Glad you are on board. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the exercise and great first post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. really love your work, I am your neighbor(Calgary).Welcome to the exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the comments! It's going to make it much easier to complete the task of a drawing a day (or make that a personal drawing a day). Whew knew it would be a struggle to find a spare fifteen mintues in my life? I usually have oodles of time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:49 PM

    He's got that healthy, really nice guy, look about him. And Stanley does suit him... That's a good idea for a personal project, creating all these unique, fun characters. I'm looking forward to seeing the new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Crystal, great character. I really like that broad nose, and the floppy ears. 8 )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to the challenge Crystal. We have started on the same day together, cool! I like the idea of creating these characters. Stan is a great name for him, although I have always liked the name Fred. It just has a silliness to it. Fred left some coins at a meter I parked at the other day, how nice!

    ReplyDelete